St. Ann Rooney Hall
Built in 2013.
Designed by David Poorman Architect LLC, in collaborations with Victor Latavish, AIA and Maureen Minker.
Built in the early 1950’s, the original building served as the first Catholic church in Collier
County. After a new sanctuary was built next to the church in the 70’s, the building became a
multi-purpose hall, and over the years, was subjected to numerous changes. One of the major
modifications was the result of the installation of air conditioning, accomplished then by
installing a dropped acoustical ceiling to cover the ductwork, and in turn, concealing the original
vaulted concrete beams. Exposed exterior AC units and duct work were installed over the low
flat-roofed kitchen area and the mezzanine level was walled in due to the height of the installed
ceiling. The original rose window was at some point in time removed and blocked in.
The design restores the original high-volume light-filled glory of the space, accomplished
primarily by reconfiguring the mechanical system to allow the removal of the dropped ceiling.
Suspended light fixtures reference the original use as a sanctuary, and the walls closing off the
once visible mezzanine and rose window were removed. Casola Stained Glass Studio was
commissioned to create a new stained glass window depicting St. Ann, the Virgin Mary and
Jesus. Operable windows, accessible restrooms and stage, and an audio visual system
provided additional modern and critically needed improvements, without sacrificing the original
Return to: People's Choice Florida Building Survey